Product Question - POP 2

Hello Community,
I think about testing / buying the POP 2 and damn it looks awesome!

So I have a few question and I hope someone can answering me these:

1. Does it scan very detailed without much 3d"noises"? I wanna try to use the scans for a level (game development → so it should be a clean scan where I dont have to spend days to clean it in blender)
  2. When I dont buy the premium package with the Powerbank, is it portable useable? If yes, how can it get the power? Just plug it into the laptop?
  3. Is it possible to use as power source my own powerbank? It has USB-C and default USB connections
  4. ^ If yes, can I still connect it to my phone or does it need the cable which i connected to the powerbank for this?
  5. I wanna scan sculptures and lets say street parts like a curb or a barrier. Is this possible with this scanner? or is there a limit for objects which are not larger than 1m ? For example a sculpture is 1,8m tall
  6. How much power and performance does it need when I scan outside some objects when I use an android phone? I would use a MI 11 Ultra for this
  7. Where does it store the 3d data? Inside of the device or on my laptop / smartphone while scanning?

I hope someone can answer me these question and sorry if they are dumb question, its awesome that a product like this exists and iam a little bit hyped :smiley:

Have a nice day!

Yes, but not guaranteed. For instance, if you scan the same area for too long, the apparent noise will increase. There is a learning curve.

Also, the Configuration setup allows a significant amount of cleanup during scanning (at a possible loss of detail). The associated Revo Studio software for editing and merging scans also allows noise reduction.

I often plug my scanner directly into the USB port on my laptop, but a battery pack allows for WiFi operation. Some smart phones will also allow direct connection via their USB port.

Yes. It must be rated for 1 amp, minimum, but due to manufacturer shortcuts, you’d be best getting one rated for 2 amps (10 watts) or higher. Battery or AC power converters are good.

Smartphones (Android or Apple) can connect via WiFi or USB, but direct connection via USB is… iffy (depends on the make and model). You’d be better off using a battery instead of the smart phone. There is a splitter so that the scanner can connect to a battery for power and to the phone for a direct USB connection. There are also three configurations for WiFi that work quite well.

It is possible to complete these tasks with the POP 2, within limits. For one, the scanner does not work in direct sunlight (you’d be better off after dark than in shadow, too). The POP 2 will lose tracking if there aren’t enough unique features, so you may want to use Body mode; it provides a wider field of view to see more unique features, at a slight loss in accuracy (still better than a millimeter, though).

As for sculptures, the same hints as above apply, but the material is also a concern. If it reflects too much, then the results will be poor to unusable. There are multiple coating options to prevent reflections, some of which dissipate on their own and others that are low cost & washable.

However, if you will mostly be scanning larger objects such as those described above, then you may want to consider the Range model scanner (to be offered on Kickstarter at the end of November).

For the POP 2, a phone with 4 GB is feasible (certainly worked for me), but you may have fewer problems with 6 or 8 GB.

The Revo Scan app only stores raw data when run on a computer (Windows or iMac). On a smart phone, the scanned data must, at a minimum, be Fused (to a Point Cloud) and exported (default is PLY, but OBJ is an option). You can also Mesh into a surface object and export in PLY, OBJ or STL.

Revo Studio opens PLY, OBJ or STL files. It can work with Point Clouds or Surface objects.

1 Like

Hi Jeff!
thanks for the fast answer!

When you just put it at the end of the month on kickstarter I will check it out but I think it means that you need some month to get it done right? Sadly I dont have so much freetime in the next month so I wanna try many things in 2022 :slight_smile: But I will check out the range version too when POP 2 is awesome like I think it is !

But there should be no problem in scanning food with this scanner right? I mean this is definitly smaller than a electric box or something like this :smiley:

Just to be sure, my powerbank has these specs, it should be useable?

• Input micro: DC5V / 3.9V / 2A (18W Max)
  • Input type C: DC5V / 3A, 9V / 2A, 12V / 1.5A (18W Max)
  • Input solar charging: DC 5 V / 300 mA / 1.5 W
  • Output 1: DC5V / 3A, 9V / 2A, 12V / 1.5A (18W Max)
  • Output 2 & 3 & 4: DC 5 V / 3 A (15 W max)
  • Type C: DC5V / 3A, 9V / 2A, 12V / 1.5A (18W Max)
  • Wireless charging: 10 W
  • Capacity: 30000mAh

Jeff don’t put anything anywhere , he is a moderator in the forum .

It will take some times before Range lands in the hands of the users , it is great , but it has a different scanning range than POP2 and made for scanning bigger objects in general . It is double faster as well but as all scanners you need to learn how to use it first , buy it based on specifications and needs and not based on what you think about . There as always is a learning curve and little practice before you can master it .

The standard output specifications for power bank are 5V/2Am , no more no less as provided by Revopoint .

These are all good specs.

You should have no problem scanning food, with or without color.

As PUTV says, I am just a moderator here. What I do know about what’s coming (and when), I cannot tell you.

But as Kickstarter projects go, there is a period ranging from weeks to months where people can join the campaign, with the deliverable coming from weeks to months after that, so do not expect the Range scanner to be available in 2022.

However, also speaking from Kickstarter experience, there is almost always a Super Early Bird discount to get the best possible price.

Yes probably in late February, but just guessing based on early KS projects.

1 Like

I hope this helps a little. This video link is to a very talented artist with some engineering skills. You might find this interesting because he uses a POP Scanner to scan a large sculpture and goes on to make a very fine metal casting of it. Casting an Aluminum Souvenir | Scan, Print and Cast Aluminum - YouTube good luck.

I hope this helps a little. This video link is to a very talented artist with some engineering skills. You might find this interesting because he uses a POP Scanner to scan a large sculpture and goes on to make a very fine metal casting of it. Casting an Aluminum Souvenir | Scan, Print and Cast Aluminum - YouTube good luck.