Nvidia control panel settings for Revo Scan

Hi

i have a very good PC with 32gb of ram, 8 core 4,4Ghz processor and RTX 3070 8Gb video card. But Revo scan is running pretty badly, so i was wondering if you had some advice to help it run more efficient by changing some settings on Nvidia control panel ?

thanks !

In the attached image, click where shown on Revo Scan’s Preview window to check the System Settings.

This option is already enabled, what i would like to know is if there are some settings on Nvidia control panel to help the software run more efficient, with the help of the graphic card, because currently it seems it use most of the CPU but not GPU

@Fabriziooo there is none because right now there is nothing the GPU can do .The upcoming software update will reduce the CPU to minimum … Revo Scan functions do not support GPU at this moment , but that may change in the future.

I refer to the Windows Performance Monitor during Revo Scan’s and Revo Studio’s operation.

Haven’t noticed Revo Scan using the GPU.

Revo Studio uses the GPU and CPU at the same time, but the GPU is never used 100% on my Dell laptop (probably because it is not a high- or even moderate-performance unit).

I hope my new desktop computer makes use of the GPU more than that.

It uses it only for OpenGL4 , what is preview window , fusing and meshing or any other function do not use GPU, not in Revo Scan or Revo Studio as the software is not written this way . Cassie mentioned in the forum that in the future they may think about that option , but for now CPU is your main horsepower , if GPU was so great solution , Pixologic would update Zbrush a long time ago to GPU compute, but because of the enormous amount of polygons , it is not practical , not everyone have 24GB VRAM graphic card installed in their systems , and that would be still a huge limitation .

OpenCL (not the GPU-specific OpenGL) will automatically allocate among CPU and GPU resources. It’s an inherent Parallel Processor approach and memory management is included.

Yes, it’s a bit of effort for the initial programming, but it pays off.

I know Jeff , I am testing this stuff for NVIDIA software since 2015 .
OpenCL is hungry for VRAM , it needs still fast CPU to process the data to GPU , and of course you need a new software and as good as you can get graphic card with lots of VRAM.

I am running 12000 Cuda cores on my workstation , it uses 48 GB of RAM while processing and 1000 watts of power , the processing are literally in seconds .

WTF??? Are you running two GPU’s linked, or just one GPU? I’m about to build a real workstation for myself, i have a kids starter workstation at the moment. I’ve been getting by for the last year with what I have now. I’m planning on going with a Threadripper for batch processing large files and FEA analysis. I’ll continue to use my current computer for CAD. This will allow me to do two things at once. Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I have 30 years of CAD experience and little to no experience building a PC.

I have multiple GPUs , since I work with CGI , but it can be better already than that.
But not in need for more at this moment.

It all depends of your budged and what is your main focus . I spent around $10K at that time of building and it was not overnight.
So it is hard to give you specific advice out of the head , as you need to make good research on the latest components and know your budged and how much you are willing to spend and how much power you need for your application . There is so much online information to guide you in the process based on the latest versions of the needed components, and it is not so hard at all as it looks like .
So if you never do that before I will advise you to watch some latest videos on YT to get familiar with the process .

But first of all you need to find the proper CPU you want to handle the process and build the rest around it with corresponding components that will support it to max , meaning good research is a must and it is going to be learning process for you . Building everything is not difficult process, but getting all your proper components is .

1 Like

Thanks PUTV. I was hoping you would give me a straight path to my goal, even though I know you/or anyone else could not do that. :rofl: I think I have a decent custom workstation configured for my specific needs I really wish CAD was not so single core dependent.

There is not a straight path to your goal , unless the person you ask know all last components on the market from their head . I don’t , I research well before I made my move .
For example when I build my last PC I had to get slower CPU that was on the market that allows me to use my 4 graphic cards + M2 SSD and corresponding motherboard that would support all of it .
So it is not always everything so obvious.

I made before a mistake buying the wrong CPU thinking it will be the best because it was the fastest…well I was stuck with it forever without ability to return it back due to their stupid return policy … ending building another PC around it for a different purpose . So do your research before and plan it well .

1 Like

My last build was like you described, unfortunately. Thanks PUTV.

1 Like