[New Release] The Beta Mac Version of Handy Scan - 20210604

The first public 3D scan using the macOS version of HandyScan over WiFi :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well fun…

I tried it on MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) MacOS 11.4:

• USB does not connect
  • WiFi-mode via my phone’s AP it worked, but lost connection every 10-15 seconds

Then I changed the WiFi settings via HandyScan, to connect the POP with my main AP (to test if it worked better).

Now the POP does not connect to any wifi anymore.

With a Win10 VM I can access the POP via USB (I see the camera preview, but no depth sensor, scan preview panel remains black). If I try to change the WiFi settings the software crashes once I press restart. Even if I return the wifi settings to my original phone’s hotspot the POP does not connect anymore.

TL;DR: I can’t use the POP anymore.

Same here, not connecting to the camera via USB cable…

Come on Revopoint Team… why did you delete my comment? I paid enough money and as a Mac user I just feel betrayed.

1 Like

Hi.
I’ve just received my POP and I’ve got a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014). I am running Mac OS X Catalina (10.15.7).
I installed the application from the google drive link in this thread.
The program ran (after going to System Preferences → Security & Privacy → General and authorizing it to run), but it keeps saying “Device was not found, please plug in.” I’ve tried connecting on both USB ports. Through a powered USB hub. I’ve waited for the scanner to her a solid green light before running the software, etc.
Still having the same problem.
The system identifies the scanner:

ZXProduct:

Product ID: 0x110a
Vendor ID: 0x2207 (Fuzhou Rockchip Electronics Co., Ltd.)
Version: 3.10
Serial Number: A2135735266400A31
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/s
Manufacturer: Chishine3d
Location ID: 0x14200000 / 15
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

What can I do to help debug the app?
Cheers,

Dear POP users,

Sorry for only sharing the beta version application and missing the release note.

Now, Only the WIFI mode is working on The MAC; the USB mode for MAC is under development.

Thanks for your support and patience.

Here is the guide for connecting POP to Mac.

The Handy Scan only support the Mac OS 10.15 and above. Please update your Mac OS version.

1. Set up a wifi on your router or a hotspot on your phone:
    Name: POP
    Passwords: 12345678

Below is the step of setting up a hotspot on iPhone for your reference:

1. Find the Wi-Fi “POP” and connect it on your MAC

2. Open the HandyScan-XXXXX-XXX.dmg

3. Move the HandyScan to Applications

4. OPEN HandyScan

5. Set The Security and Privacy

6. Power your POP with a POWER BANK or YOUR MAC.

7. The UI on MAC is the same as that on Windows. Please follow the user manual.
    Download | Revopoint 3D Technologies Inc.

What do you mean buy set up a WiFi?

Thanks for shariing, but I couldn’t get to work. I can’t get enough power from my Pro 11 so that out. I tried setting up my iMac (Big Sur 11.2.3) with no luck. If you see any issues with my setup please let me know.

You didn’t do it right: you have to enter the exact same commands in the Terminal as instructed in the link I provided (Loopback is a special service and is not the name of the hotspot !), or follow the instructions below:

A. Enter the following commands in a Terminal:

B. Though not required, you can check in the “Network Preferences” panel whether the above commands worked: a “Loopback” service with the specified IP and mask should appear along other network services (like “WiFi”, “Ethernet”, etc). In your special case, you should remove the POP service before performing step A because it was a mistake.

C. Open the “Sharing Preferences” panel:

1. Disable “Internet Sharing” if already enable and select the “Loopback” service to “share your connection from”,
  2. Enable the “Wi-Fi” for “To computers using:”,
  3. Click the “WiFi Options” button, this is where the name and password of the WiFi Hotspot need to be specified

D. Enter the name and password for the hotspot (use “WPA2 Personal” security). They should be the same as the name and password that are already stored on the POP scanner device (by default they should be “POP” and “12345678” if you never changed them before through the HandyScan software).
Setting Name and Password for POP HotSpot
Finally click “OK” to save this network configuration and return to the “Sharing Preferences” panel. Then enable “Internet Sharing” (step 4), and click the “Start” button when requested whether to turn on Internet Sharing.

After a few seconds, your WiFi HotSpot should be active on your Mac and the POP scanner should be able to connect to it when running the macOS version of HandyScan.
ActiveHotSpot

Note that the instructions I provided previously to force HandyScan to use WiFi (by modifying the config.xml file inside the bundle) are not actually necessary. The HandyScan software is able to automatically switch from USB to WiFi once the POP scanner can connect to the HotSpot created above.
Once the Hotspot is active, simply follow above RevoPoint Team’s instructions to launch the HandyScan software: [New Release] The Beta Mac Version of Handy Scan - 20210604 - #13 by Revopoint3d

1 Like

After deleting the POP setting in the Network Pane and adding in Loopback in Terminal as you describe, and following the other steps you describe, I still get nothing on the screen in Handy Scan. Do you have any other suggestions? I’m starting to wonder if my POP scanner is defective, though it does have a solid green light.

Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 10.06.30 PM

I just tested successfully the WiFi Hotspot setup on my iMac (late 2014) running macOS 11.4 or macOS 10.15.7. However this failed on my Mac mini M1 running macOS 11.4. I don’t see anything wrong based on your screenshots. Could you check entering the correct 1st command in the Terminal? The last bit after Loopback is lo0 where l is not a 1 but a lowercase L. Just in case…
You should also try to connect to this POP hotspot from another device: if this other device cannot see or connect to it then that would indicate that the issue is unlikely to be due to the POP scanner (especially if it shows a stable green light).

Tested on a new Mac mini M1 (macOS 11.4): the larger preview window shows only a quarter of the expected preview size (lower left quadrant) as illustrated on the screenshot. I don’t have this issue when running HandyScan on an Intel-based Macintosh computer also running macOS 11.4. Also HandyScan feels a bit slow on this M1 computer compared to my 7-year-old iMac… The app appears to be compiled with Intel processors only, so it is run through Rosetta 2 explaining the sub-par performance. I hope you will be able to provide soon an universal version, natively compatible with Apple Silicon ! Thank you.

Managed to get mine to work on mac lastnight the only way I could get mine to work is to change the name of my router to POP and do it that way, will do for now

Hello
but where is HandyStudio?

Thanks for your input. I double checked the Loopback and it was input correctly. Tried again just now and after a 1-2 minutes Handy Scan started working. I’m not sure why it took so long to see the scanner. I did a scan on the torso head that came with the POP scanner and it seemed to work. After that I hid Handy Scan and was working on something else when Handy Scan unexpectedly quit.

I’ve managed to connect but its very laggy and constantly crashing so I’m giving up and waiting for the usb update

Hi @dfodaro

At this period, Handy Studio is not available on Mac version. But we will add it in the future version.

Best Regards
Cassie

Unless I’m missing something, all of these instructions assume that the device is actually putting out a wifi signal, as far as I can tell, mine is not, nor is there any way of making it do so. I see at least a dozen different access points, none of which are the device.

Why was this released if wifi is the only way of connecting and the device doesn’t automatically put out a wifi signal if not connected to a USB enabled computer?

Hi, @thomasl

Sorry, it’s our fault for not explaining it clearly.

You can set up a hotspot whose name is POP, and password is 12345678, then you can search for this hotspot on your Mac.

Below is the step of setting up a hotspot on iPhone:

Then you can search for the Wi-Fi named “POP” on your Mac.

Best Regards
Cassie

I can get my macbook pro connected using both USB and WIFI (i had to change my router name and password) but i keep getting the same error as soon as the camera is connected. (see Screenshot).

Can anyone help?

1 Like