How to create a marker

![image|375x500](upload://sO

aRZ2xcMjdErjMEThBweJcJSP8.jpeg)
I use a whiteboard marker pen to draw circles to create markers pop2 can use that,it must be round,other shapes are not working!

I am curious if the distances calculated by the POP 2 will be in error due if the homemade markers are not precisely sized.

Please let us know.

I always wondered if you could take the stickers and stick them to one of those vinyl cling type things (like decorations you can put on windows and such) and reuse them or if the vinyl cling stuff would not stick very well after a time or 2.

That is a valid point , but
The POP2 turntable top came with 5 mm markers on it but the official sticker markers are 4mm , what tells me the mm no matters as much . Normal 3D scans need to have precision size to measure exactly distance and not all will works with the same scanner. Painting not uniform markers completely lose the purpose of the markers .
If you have a dark material all you need to buy is 5mm white dots stickers to use it as markers , 300 for $5 , Look for 4 to 5 mm in diameter for the white dots

Here are the original POP/2 markers 4mm at 7mm 10.000 of it

My aim is to solve the problem that always lose tracking in a quick way, marker pen is the quickest way I think. At first, I didn’t think about the accuracy about it.Then you remind me.Second thought, If it responded to hand made marker,the shape and size should have no influence on it.I think scanner just use it to track not measure

1 Like

I was thinking the same , I made test to see if Pop/2 actually measure the distance using the markers and it does not, it use it as an optical references only while scanning as the masuments was way off to be true . I think it is more to use with Revo studio to point manually the markers on 2 different scans to fuse the point cloud together . Because automatic it will not fuse it correctly .

Also I have issue to scan the back of the head when the object is wearing a cap , so the markers are used more for the tracking purpose while scanning . Fusing 2 scans automatic with the markers provided bad results .

My theory is the algorithm is not perfect as we all know, it rely on the shape of object too much ,and black also have bad influence on tracking result.It doesn’t use gyroscope and rgb camera wisely. Hope next version will have some improvements about tracking. Scan01 even better at this.

It is not about the black color , it is about the surface it is made of , If you use infrared laser scanner it is obvious that most black plastic will absorb the infrared light . I scanned yesterday full body with black clothing and did not lose any tracking , all at once in just 1 scan .
And regarding Scan01 it is a different type technology and it sucks big time.The accuracy was so bad I returned it after 1 day , this is not even a comparison to POP2 that is so much better on so many levels .
And yes that is true , it rely on object shape/features but all optical scanner do , it is simpler to scan detailed 30 mm object than 2ft flat panel , all scanners have the same issues but more expensive scanners have completely different tracking system when using markers , and you can’t expect that from a gadget as POP2 .
The new upcoming Revopoint MINI Blue Light scanner looks promising , it may be just the tool everyone need especially for reverse engineering .

1 Like

It’s going to be very interesting to see the results from the MINI blue light scanner! It will be a great companion for the POP2

1 Like

Definitely Johnathan , it gonna be something , I can’t wait !

1 Like

The POP2 is a semi professional / professional unit if you know how scanning works. If you understand the workflows and the ancillary inputs required for a good scan.

Now most expert scanners actually own 3 + different types of scanners this allows them to negate challenges like dark/reflective surfaces, internal geometry, material types.

Not to mention also there are environmental factors to achieving a great scan.

Ultimately, in saying all of this. The let down for POP2, CR-01, CR-Lizard, Sense 1, Sense 2 ect is not the hardware, it’s the freeware software you receive with it.

If these companies actually invested in the software it would truly push them in to the professional arena.

When buying scanners you need to really have a hard think about what you are scanning, why you are scanning it, what materials you are scanning, what tolerances are acceptable.

0-10 micron = Areospace
10-50 micron = industrial part validation
50-300 micron = reverse engineering
300 micron - 1milimeter = General replication, Civil, Architectural, Geospacial Mapping.

The MINI is just that, another tool in your tool box for another bit of capability to scan different materials and geometry. They are claiming 0.02 but they also claim 0.05 for POP2. This is a single framerate scan, not 0.02 across the entire scan.

3D scanners need Accuracy and Precision and Resolution.

Though most of these scanners in the hobby market can get good Accuracy however their Precision and resolution are their let down whichnis partly due to software and firmware.

So dont expect the MINI to solve all your challenges, its just another tool in your kit.

@Advanc3d

you don’t know nothing about what I have or what I need

sorry but not interested in lectures either , I have my bachelor degree already .

have a nice day

No Lectures here, a Batchelors and…

Your level of education presents well.

I dont retract my comment as its useful for others.

1 Like

@Advanc3d

Remember this forum is for users of Revopoint devices . If people are interested in professional scans they will be not here reading your advices . I am also not interesting to hear from you assumptions about a product you don’t own , keep your assumptions to yourself .

Tatsächlich ja, danke.
hab mit meinem einige Probleme, da das Objekt sehr schwer ist. Pechschwarze Oberfläche, wenig Struktur und Würfelartig mit weiten Flächen. Das ist zuviel für ihn :see_no_evil: