How to close holes

Hello,

when scanning an object it happens quite often that there are holes left. I haven’t figured out yet how to close theses holes. Tilting the scanner to get a different angle mostly doesn’t work, nor does pointing the scanner at the area with the hole from a different viewpoint. What would be the best way, or any way to close holes during the scannung process?

Hello,

there are several solutions:
-rotate the scanner to try to get infrared light into the hole.
-if possible, cover the surface with talc or spray for 3d scanner
-pause and increase the brightness almost fully, and also increase the gain
-if the hole is not important, just start the creation of the mesh and the software will plug them

do not hesitate to come and detail or show photos of the object that is causing concern so that I can find a solution for you.

Have a nice day

1 Like

Assuming the hole is for something like a screw, you could also add the hole back in when post-processing after the scan is meshed. If you don’t know how to do CAD to do that, programs like MeshMixer can make it easy. MeshMixer can also hollow out irregularly shaped solid objects, which can be handy for 3D printing larger objects. Speeds up the print, saves on material…

1 Like

Thank you for the hint. I haven’t worked with meshs so far, only stl and gcode, and I think I have to get familiar with mesh manipulation if I want to get most of the Pop 3D-scanner.

The “holes” I meant are not real holes in the scanned object - like for srews as you mentioned - but areas which are “there” in the real model, but which the scanner doesn’t recognize. Trying to make a “selfie” face scan, for example, I mostly have such “holes” at both sides of the nose, where the nose slopes into the cheek. And I can’t get the scanner/software to recognize that there is surface, too, no matter how I move the scanner or angle it. (And my face doesn’t have those holes :wink: )
It might add to the problem, though, that I’m not used to the right way to move the scanner yet, without getting the “lost track” message. Reallignment often works, but more often produces artifacts when the parts already recognized are alligned with wrong parts of the scanned object.

It’s a learning process, and I’m still confident to get good results in the end.

Hi! I am confident it’s because angulation of the scanner. Try scanning someone else’s face (which is easier) , I am sure, you will be able to can those areas with ease, too! It’s all about practice, keep going! :beers:

1 Like

Thanks for the answer.
The “selfie face” was only an example so I easily could explain what the “holes” mean. That effect also appears with other objects, where there often are areas that I can’t get the scanner/software to recognize as surface, thus leaving “holes”.
Well, I’ll just practice :slight_smile:

1 Like

can you show some examples, like photo of the object and the scanning result with corresponding holes?

ivan, not at the moment. I’m setting up a laptop for 3D-scanning only, but it isn’t working correctly yet. The scans with the “holes” in I never saved, so I don’t have examples.
Thank you for your willingness to help, I’ll come back here when everything is set up and if I still have the problem after some practice.

1 Like

Good morning to all…
I have made my first scan with pop, and seems to be ok but into the model there are some hole,
I have tryed to use studio and fill hole but it make a big error, I add some photo.

Let me know, how I can solve the problem…
Many thanks
Mirco

Try meshmixer, it has such option for closing holes! too.

Many thanks, and what system you use to align the scan to a plane…
in that case I have the lateral plane more down and the nos 2cm more high… I can take three point and say that is the correct plane… is possible in what way?? thanks

I use zbrush, import the file, orient the object and resave it. This might work in a 3d slicer like cura, too. Try out and let us know