HELP: POP2 loses Position when scanning objects on turntable

Hi,

I have the problem that the POP2 Scanner loses the Position of the scan-object everytime when I repositioned it on the turntable.

I press play. Scanning, Press pause, repositioning, press play again → it loses the exact position of my object.

Even when I dont move the object on the turntable it loses the position.

I press play. Scanning, Press pause, press play again → it loses the exact position of my object.

The Scan-object ist black but I used 3D-Scan Spray from RVK TEC-Products to manage that.

Lose tracking means not enough features on the object to track the position .
Add small objects next to it or use marker mode however you would be not able to flip it and scan in be session, that’s the rules .
Marker mode allows you only to scan one side of the model at once to be merged later in Revo Scan .so it requires multiple sessions .

You can try to scan it from the position that actually lose tracking , pause and move it to the original position and continue scanning. It may help you out .

When you re-position the object during a pause, Revo Scan needs enough already-scanned data to synchronize the two scan passes when you resume scanning.

The only way to do this is to have a significant portion of previously-scanned data visible to Revo Scan. 20% is my estimate based on my experience.

Keep in mind that it does not have to sync immediately. If rotating the turntable makes more of the previously-scanned areas visible, Revo Scan can (eventually) pull the two together. In my experience, this could take as long as 20 seconds.

Hi @Lowbird ,

Can you show us a picture of the scanned object? Like @PopUpTheVolume explains, “Lose tracking means not enough features on the object to track the position.”

I think that you may use Feature Mode to scan an object without distinctive features.

Best Regards
Cassie

“feather” mode? :hatching_chick: Do you mean “marker” mode? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Just throw around couple of feathers for tracking :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

Just kidding … probably an early morning typo …

2 Likes

Hi,
so this is what I tried so far:

Bigger Object (picture below)

1. Feature mode, High accuracy, no color:
Scanning while rotating. Making 1000 frames. Pause. Reposition the object. Making another 1000 frames.
→ Loosing Position of the object. Scan nit usable.

2. Feature mode, High accuracy, no color:
Scanning while rotating. Making 2000 frames. Pause. Reposition the object. Making another 2000 frames.

3. Marker mode, High accuracy, no color:
Scanning while rotating. Making 500 frames.
→ Error: “Too few markers for proper registration”
(please look at the picture. There are a lot of marker on that plate!)

Smaller object with a little bit more features (pictures below)

4. Feature mode, High accuracy, no color:
Scanning while rotating. Making 1000 frames. Pause. Reposition the object. Making another 1000 frames.

My advice: print some of these, put markers on their sides and scan in marker mode.

Alternative:put sume small distinguishable objects around your main object and scan in feature mode. Those extra objects you can cut out easily in post production. I prefere different lego bricks or similar.

1 Like

The first two pictures show an object that seems symmetrical on one plane, which is difficult for the scanners; not as difficult as two planes of symmetry (like a box) or one axis of symmetry (like a bowl or ball), but still not ideal.

Placing small, unique objects (I often use gum squeezed into different shapes) in irregular patterns on or around the scanned object will help maintain tracking in Feature mode.

Marker mode requires at least 6 markers in every frame; this is not always easy to do.

Sorry so much, wrong typo :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I followed all your advices but sadly nothing really worked.

Really Dont know wether my Revopoint is damaged in some way or I´m too stupid for 3D Scanning.

Where you got this from ? It requires 3 markets at all times minimum at proper distance from each other and proper angle / enough lighting .

You should have no issue scanning it with marker mode , keep scanner above the object with proper angle to the plate so the markers reflecting back to the sensors , you can make one rotation before hitting the scan button to see if they get registried , also pay attention to the gain settings , marker mode needs slightly higher gain setting at minimal 2 and enough light to be picked up . You will need also scan multiple angles separately and merge it later . You can’t move the object in a different position while using markers . You need multiple sessions .

Or use small cubes , it always works

You can even make a small balls from a white paper and put around your object to help tracking .

The time was, Revopoint personnel would post “more than 5” markers had to be visible.

In my own experience, 3 or 4 wasn’t enough.

However, I have not been using Marker mode for a while. You say 3, so I’ll accept that.

2 Likes

Minimal 3 at all times in the FOV working great , however 5 would be better , and of course smaller markers than 10mm works even better with MINI and POP2 at 15cm distance , the regular size is slightly too big for MINI as it hard to keep them in FOV .

1 Like