Hello all...new here

I am attempting to scan the parts in the attached files. Is there anyone that can give me pointers on getting an accurate scan? I have watched the videos and am going to use some gray powder to spay on them to see if that helps.

anything black, sharp edges or glossy will need attention with the matt spray. Consider how you mount them as well - I would suggest maybe raising them up on a thin stick or something, that way you wont get any back ground data and you can get around the object in 1 go.

1 Like

The pop is very poor on edges sometimes it is best to extend them with card and trim back in post processing. Also hollows or undercuts don’t scan well. The items seem quite simple would it not be easier to model them in CAD?

1 Like

I have read a comment here concerning parts like the one in the third picture, which sound stupid but actually worked for me in several cases: put some of the putty that came with the scanner on top of the head of that small bust of a roman that came as a sample object, then mount the part on the head. You have to adjust the scan area in a way that at least part of the head is scanned also. It prevents “Lost Track” errors nearly completely.
Both of your parts (the aluminium part with screws in and the black plastic part) will definitely need to be sprayed with some greyish and matte stuff, like crayon or dry shampoo. Don’t try it without that, it would only frustrate you.

Thanks, I have some gray spray and tried that. I gave up last night because the scan started to ghost real bad. I am going to give it a try again this morning. I am scanning directly to my computer. One this I noticed is that my Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080TI card is hardly being used…most is going to the CPU.

11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-11700KF @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
48.0 GB (47.9 GB usable)

It might be hard to tell but there are some subtle curves on this. I have taken pictures and traced them in Fusion 360. I may just have to stick with that method and try to tweak the image better.

I will give that a try with the gray spay on it.

Interesting. I am using Handy Scan on a Dell laptop with an Intel GPU and Project Manager says that the GPU is used.

The POP is better at capturing organic (e.g. ‘curved’) shapes than it is for straight edges.

It can be done, however. It is best to orient the POP or the object being scanned so that the straight edges are parallel to the imaginary line between the POP’s sensors. Considering the straight edge on the object as a relative Z axis, rotate the POP around that axis while scanning to get each facet to that edge.

2 Likes

Really interesting threat. Its my first post at this forum. Thanks everyone.

Hi @kaja ,

Welcome to join the forum! Feel free to contact us when you have any questions! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Best Regards
Cassie

Welcome to the Forum. You will find many POP users who can provide a lot of useful information.