Handy scan image

The image in the handyscan main window always terrible but when you mesh the scan looks better. Is anyone else seeing this?

Yes, I believe that is because the dots of the Point Cloud (what you have before the Mesh operation converts it to a Surface object) have a physical size (otherwise, you couldn’t see anything until after you perform the Mesh operation), and that size is just a little large for the objects you are scanning.

No I mean there are multiple parts of the scan at different angles to each other even though only taken one rotation of the turntable. It’s impossible to tell if it any good until it is meshed.

That’s one of the issues that they are still trying to resolve. The tracking has failed to keep in sync.

On some objects with too little surface detail (or small repetitive details), the tracking has a very difficult time staying in sync. The solution for these is Marker Mode and liberal use of the markers.

Sometimes you can get away with adding a few external objects around the perimeter of the turntable to give the tracking something to use. Various sized Lego bricks work pretty good for this.

1 Like

I’m not sure whether @Gbo 's issue is understood (and I’m not even sure whether I understand it correctly). What I see is that sometimes the raw point cloud looks bad, with missaligned parts and artifacts, and I then tend to start again without even bothering to hit the “complete” button. But after the fusion - not the mesh process - it looks much better. As if the fusion process corrects some of the errors that happened during the scan process.

Yes that’s what I mean. I had been restarting a scan because it looked so bad, but if I had created a mesh it looks better.