First Impression of the POP 2, not overwhelming

I got my POP 2 today, and I only tried it with my Android tablet so far, and unfortunately I have to say that it gives me Déjà-vu all over from the first steps I did with the POP (1) scanner, very frustrating.
I’m not sure which of the issues is caused by the new software (not firmware), but there are many things that I actually thought we are over with, which result in bad or even no scanning results. Just a few and the main flaws:

• First of all: is the “Hotspot” mode not working anymore with the POP 2? The device doesn’t connect, though WiFi is off, only Hotspot is on, and the device shows green.
  • The WiFi-mode appears to be very unstable, with the device disconnecting and getting undetectable all the time. With the POP (1) and Hotspot mode I didn’t have any connection issues.
  • And yes, the new software is unstable. If I manage to collect one scan, the software freezes unavoidable when I try to start a second scan. The only way to get anything working again is restarting the tablet. And maybe even power down and power up the scanner again.
  • The “runnaway” issue is at least as bad as with the POP (1), if not even worse. With objects with plenty of surface and surrounding features the tracking should be able to anchor on, the scan starts running away - randomly rotating or linear pseudo movements - nearly immediately. People. Shouldn’t the POP 2 have accelerometers or something like that to give the device more stability against those pseudo-movements?
  • While still connected, the POP 2 randomly stops streaming data, detectable by both color and IR display freezing. Might be the software, though, but the GUI still reacts, so it isn’t the entire software that freezes. The only way to get it working again is to restart the tablet, and even powercycling the POP 2 several times. If I hadn’t reminded myself that this is a quite delicate and complex piece of hardware, I would have smacked the thing.

Well, I put it all away for now. The carry case and the accessories are very nice, no doubt about that.
In my first impression, though, at least the combination ‘Android tablet - new software - WiFi mode’ is pretty much useless for me. A lot of improvement has to be done here, probably in the software department.

I need some time to get my frustration tolerance up again, before I test everything on my Windows machines. I read a lot about good and very good first impressions of the POP 2, and I don’t doubt any of them. Alas, I just don’t share them.

3 Likes

I definitely had issues in the handheld software department. The hotspot and wifi mode settings are different for the POP2 and regretably thats not really mentioned -anywhere-.

This is how I got it to stop disconnecting on me.

Wifi on - all other wifis set NOT to auto reconnect. One would always butt in and knock the POP2 off, as its not providing internet, and my phone wants to be on the internet.

Hotspot settings needed to be toggled to remain on, that required turning off battery saver, time restrictions.

Do not Disturb also needed to be turned on, the number of times I’d receieve a text message and had to start over was embarrassing before I toggled this.

The tracking issues I found were largely dealt with by focusing on the depth camera - and setting it to manual. That doesn’t appear to be optional.

All in all, the handheld version of the software needs work. A lot of it. For the larger scan I accomplished without a proper slider I managed to do only by using the desktop version and having it plugged into my computer.

The software will come around. But for now, Ill be glued to my computer for my scans.

Hope some of this helped!

1 Like

Thank you, that was indeed helpful.
I also found out that the POP 2 does provide “Hotspot” functionality, as the POP (1) does, but by default it seems to be shut off in favour of the Wifi mode. And there is indeed the problem with the autoconnect. You can’t isolate a device so it only uses one WiFi node and one only.
It appears that I have to hook up the POP 2 to a PC through USB and switch the Hotspot mode on. That should fix that problem.
And right, I am expecting the PC version running better, though the ability to run 3D scans with a mobile device is something I definetely don’t want to do without.

Interesting observation. With my Android phones, they remain connected to the POP 2 until I manually connect them to their regular Router, even with Autoconnect active.

I admit: I might not know everything about Android and WiFi connections :blush: It’s perfectly possible that I missed some setting. And maybe the connection loss in WiFi mode has a different reason.
Anyway, I’ll try to switch my POP 2 to Hotspot mode, if only to have the workflow for both versions the same.

First update:

• Tried to connect POP 2 to a Windows machine, new Revoscan-Software. USB-Connection. Device connected/disconnected at random. Click on “scan”: “not enough memory” (POP (1) with Handyscan worked flawlessly before). Tried to switch the WiFi mode from “Host” to “Client” → Device ignores the setting and allways returns to “Host”.
  • Different Windows machine, old “Handyscan” software. Finally managed to switch “Host” to “Client”. Some trial scans: “lost track” a lot, many artifacts even without “lost track”.
  • Device does not connect to Hotspot on Android machine. Yes, hotspot name and password (both default) set correctly, checked several times.

Why am I in a situation as if I never connected a POP scanner and used it before? I have to fight the same issues I had the first time with with POP (1) scanner. Worse even, because at least the Hotspot thing worked at once and without any problems with the POP (1).

What make / model tablet are you using?

The POP 2’s WiFi Host mode can be overwhelmed by a WiFi Repeater that is too close. I have one on my desk and I had to move my POP 2 and phone 60 feet away to get it to work, even though the same phone worked in Hotspot mode with the original POP.

So… try that, if it applies.

1 Like

Android Tablet used: Teclast M30 pro

Did some more tests. The test sessions are quite short at the moment, because they get frustrating very quickly.

• Finally got the POP 2 working (kind of, see next points) in Hotspot (i.e. “Client”) mode. The “trick”: I have to switch the WiFi-Band from 2.4 GHz, which is needed for the POP (1), to 5 GHz. POP 2 doesn’t connect to 2.4 GHz, the POP (1) doesn’t connect to 5 GHz.
    Did anyone care to tell POP (1) users anywhere what they need to change to get the POP 2 work where the POP (1) worked fine before?
  • Still, the (Android) software detects the device randomly, and if it detects the device, it does so only once. If the software does not detect the device, though the Hotspot shows it is connected, the only way to get it working again is to power cycle the Android tablet.
  • Generally, could someone please overhaul the dialogs and messages who is a) a native English speaker and b) familiar with software/user interaction? For example the question “Are you sure to fill holes?” is stupid, correct (and intelligible) would be “Do you want to fill holes?”. Most annoying is “Make sure to exit?” and “yes/no” buttons. With such cringy moments the software looks very unprofessional.
  • I am not going to install “Revoscan” instead of “Handyscan” on any of my other Windows machines, since on the one I have installed it, it gives me “Not enough memory” (and a stupid “yes/no” button) as soon as I click on “Scan”. What kind of memory considers the software to be too low? RAM? Disk space? If the latter, where?

Still, I can’t describe my “user experience” with the POP 2 and the new software other than really, really disappointing.

P.S.: the german GUI is even worse :neutral_face: Who, for crying out loud, had the idea (just one example of many) of translating “Support” as “Beistand”? That word stands for assistance in a legal (as in ‘lawyer’) or a spiritual (as in ‘priest’) way. Technical support in software context might be just “Support” (yes, germans know technical terms in foreign languages) or at least “Unterstützung”. The latter would still look weird to an experienced software user.

First I’ve heard of it. I suppose I should have verified that when I was experimenting.

Oh, @Revopoint3D-Cassie , in case you didn’t see this thread.

Might be a flaw of my tablet, maybe other device set the band automatically (maybe by detecting clients trying to connect) or both.

Update on Windows-Machine:
Freeing space on drive C: or deinstalling Revoscan and reinstalling on drive D: (instead of C:) fixed the “not enough memory” problem.
Why?

Eldkatten
Look what your “Page File Sizes” are set to, for each drive.

My PC > Properties > Select Advanced System Setting, on left side > Advanced Tab > Performance “Settings” button > Now on Performance Options, select Advanced tab > Virtual Memory, “Change” button.

1 Like

Thank you for the info.
What value should I set the Virtual Memory to?

If the memory set for the D: drive works, use the same (Or more) for the C: drive

1 Like

You shouldn’t ever need to touch the virtual memory unless running Windows on very small amount of DRAM, like 4GB. Once you have 12GB or more installed, the virtual memory will likely never be used.

Also, virtual memory, if used, should be set up only on your fastest drive and none on any other drives.

1 Like

Seems as if I have 16 GB RAM installed. So the problem apparently wasn’t the virtual memory, but some disk space on C: As said, I freed disk space and moved the Revoscan installation from C: to D: (which has a lot more of free space on my machine).

Hi @Eldkatten , the Revoscan is storring all scans you make on your hard drive , no matter you save it or not, bad or good , some of my scans take almost 2GB , in the last 7 days the folder under C:/user/yuorname/handylookdata is already over 40GB so it is growing very fast , make sure you clean up the data you don’t want to keep , each scan you attempt is stored in own folder with datum the moment you start scanning .

@banonay I don’t think you can work proper with POP2 on a PC with a DRAM of 4GB , you need at least 16GB, the Android app working differently than the Win software , some laptops with most 7th and 8th generation Intel cpu’s can support max 12GB but mixing 8GB +4GB sticks may prove to be problematic and definitely not as fast as single channel PC.
My graphic card has 12GB VRAM , and in most cases heavy scan data is using 1.7 GB of VRAM

1 Like